Lev Respite Staff
Libenu is seeking part-time Respite Workers for children and teens with intellectual and developmental disabilities; M-Th from 3:45pm -7:15pm for our Lev Respite program.
Lev Respite provides desperately-needed assistance to families who have children and teens with intellectual and developmental disabilities by offering professional, dependable, well-structured respite services in a safe, nurturing environment. Lev’s activities are person-centered and designed to maximize each child’s potential. Lev participants develop social, emotional, communication, and life skills through an experiential curriculum that includes art, music, movement and play activities that are rooted in best practices.
The Respite Worker will:
• Maintain the well-being and safety of participants
• Participate in planning and implementing developmentally and age-appropriate social, recreational, and learning activities for participants
• Support and assist with activities of daily living (may include lifting, dressing, walking, feeding, toileting and diaper changing)
• Provide 1-1 and small group support for participants
• Supervise and direct volunteers as needed
• Maintain a Covid-safe environment by following all Covid protocols for the program.
• Support children and volunteers in maintaining social distancing, frequent hand sanitizing, and cleaning surfaces
• Implement established behavior plans and academic goals
• Assist with set up and clean up, disinfecting, and organizing the classroom space before and after the program
• Participate in paid staff trainings and supervision
• Perform other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job:
• Ability to closely observe participant in care.
• Ability to run, walk, stand, sit on the floor, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, jump, listen, hear, and talk.
• Ability to reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to support weight of up to 40 pounds of a client (i.e., carry a child, assist with
lifting an adult).
• These activities are performed both outdoors and indoors throughout the year.
• During COVID, staff are provided and required to wear/use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), such as masks, face shield, hand sanitizer, etc.
Lev Respite is located on the north side of Chicago. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an individual would encounter in a school setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Employees may encounter participants who demonstrate difficult behaviors, including but not limited to crying, tantrums, kicking, screaming, and verbal and/or physical aggression.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, college preferred
• Direct Service Professional (DSP) preferred
• Minimum of 1 year experience working who have individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities
• Ability to accept and engage in supervision
• Must meet physical demands of the position
• Must successfully complete a background check
• Familiarity with Jewish customs and traditions preferred
Salary: $15 – $18 per hour, commensurate with experience.
This list of position functions is not all-inclusive and may be supplemented or modified. Libenu’s mission is to provide residential, vocational, and respite opportunities for people with disabilities to live with dignity and respect, as fully included members of their community. Libenu is internationally recognized as one of the most innovative not-for-profit organizations in the United States. Libenu uses person-centered planning to provide a gold standard of care in all of its programs. Libenu is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to building a diverse workforce and positive working environment.
Send resume and cover letter to Rivka@Libenu.org.